Saturday, August 28, 2010

100 Blogs in 100 Days: (Day 38) - "10 Bands I want to see Before I'm Gone"

When I put Scott Pilgrim vs the World into my list of my favorite all time movies yesterday it got me thinking about lists. Once I started thinking about lists the lists starting coming fast and furiously. This is the first one. Its 10 bands I want to see live before I’m gone. It contains bands both old and new, a rock n roll hall of famer, a few different styles and a few currently hip bands. I tried to keep my list restricted to those who are still out there touring. If a bands is retired, broken up or has members who have passed I didn’t consider them.

So here’s 10 bands I want to see before I’m gone: (in no particular order)


Tribe Called Quest- I’m not one for hip hop shows. This is manly due to the rappers being out of breath jumping, shaking and running all over the stage. What happens is they are doing so much that they re winded a lot of the time and basically shout out the rhyme instead of flowing. Every show I’ve seen, from Busta Rhymes to De La Soul, they always sound pretty bad when compared to the record. There’s something to be said for being part of the show, feeling the energy or rapping along and there’s certainly something that can be said for seeing my favorite hip hop group of al time, regardless of the flaws. Now that they are playing shows again I really hope there’s some way to see these guys. The flow and contrast between Phife and Q-Tip are among the best I’ve ever heard.



Portishead- if I were to see Portishead I would probably sit or stand there like I was in a trance. The beats would grab hold of my soul and Beth Gibbons voice would caress my heart. I can’t imagine the splendor of what seeing this band would be like. I can only imagine it would be candy for my ears.



Emiliana Torrini- Emiliana is my favorite European singer whose cuteness is off the charts and whose voice is among my all time favorites. She dresses like a gypsy and has a somewhat strange way about her that I discovered when I interviewed her on the radio about 10 years ago.



Wilco- I missed Wilco when they came for Rockin at the Knox a few years ago and I’m still kicking myself over that one.



Beastie Boys- I think the Beasties got me through the 90’s until I discovered college radio. I owe them a lot. Many nights of drinking, video games and hanging out featured a Beastie soundtrack, especially those first 4 records. Surprisingly, I’ve never seen them live.



The Cure- Much like how the Beasties got me through some times, the Cure did as well. On many occasions when I was sad, they were my go to band. I feel like I owe them too.



Prince- What can I say? Those who knew me during my radio days might remember that on every show I had to have a Prince song, sometimes several of them. He was my favorite musician for so long until he lost me sometime in the last 10 years. I still stand by his first 10 records as some of the most brilliant work by any artist. When he has come to town I’ve always balked at the ticket price. Maybe one day we’ll agree on a price before he gets too old to put on the amazing show he puts on.



Paul Westerberg- Paul is a legend and was very important to my childhood as the leader of the Replacements. I don’t know if he performs “Mats” songs in his shows now but even if it’s only a few it would so be worth it.



Vampire Weekend- Their first two records are so thrilling that I can’t believe how many stellar tracks there are. I wonder how good they’d be in concert but with such quality songs to perform, I can’t imagine them being less than awesome.



Arcade Fire- this one is a no brainer. These guys are my current Radiohead. You know the band that can do no wrong and who everyone needs to see live. When I finally saw Radiohead it was like a weight was lifted off of me but now that weight has returned in the form of Arcade Fire. If only they’d come close to here, but in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment