Monday, August 2, 2010

100 Blogs in 100 Days: (Day 13) - "The Bad Juju"

Do you ever walk into a place and sense the energy of the room? I’m not talking about the supernatural, spirits or the dead. I’m talking about the people in the room. I’m talking about moods and emotions. Sometimes it’s easy. If you were to walk into a hospital waiting room, you can sense the tension. If you happen to stumble into a party, you’ll often be able to feel the good vibes from the good times.

I try to stay away from bad juju but sometimes it’s difficult to avoid. Like today when I came into work. I only work in a room with 4-5 people but a lot of negative energy was in the air. It wasn’t typical bad energy like meanness, dishonesty or anything evil. It was sadness, anger and fear. There was a feeling of dread and doom in the room. I sat down and picked it up almost immediately. Within a few minutes I went from being really high from a great weekend to starting to feel sad, mopey and kind of grumpy.

Now I’m not saying the people around me can’t feel what they want to feel or what they have to feel. That’s pretty much out of my hands but I have to remember how I am. I have to remember that I am a karma chameleon. I’m a sponge and due to my sensitivity, empathy and compassion I absorb the moods around me. This occurs especially if I am doing other things and not thinking consciously about my own mood. Sometimes I’ll notice the bad juju and think nothing of it but then a little while later it permeates my mind and I am feeling the same things and acting out the same way those around me do. It sneaks up on me.

Today was different. When I noticed the bad energy in the room I quickly threw on the headphones and listened to George Carlin mp3s and reflected on my recent happy times. I have 8 or 9 of his CDs on my work computer so there was enough there to last a while. I must have laughed out loud several times and I kept smiling all day long. No one cared or asked why I was laughing or smiling and that was fine. People were wrapped up in their own little worlds and that’s cool. If they had asked I would have told them what George said and maybe I could have helped spread smiles around the room but I won’t force my “good juju” on people. I believe it should be extended naturally and if I can’t help anyone out, so be it. I had enough to accomplish helping to keep my own good mood and I did that so I felt good about it. I felt like I fought back against the bad juju and put up a force field of good vibes. I felt empowered. I’d say we have more power than we think.

When I got out of work today instead of feeling exhausted from being around the negative energy all day I felt nearly as great as I did when I got up this morning after a wonderful weekend. It would appear that I am learning more and more about myself, the world and nature in my old age. I think of life as a never ending learning process and I’ve learned that just because I can strongly sense the bad juju floating around out there, I don’t have to absorb it. So here’s me wishing good juju to all of you you.

No comments:

Post a Comment