Tuesday, August 3, 2010

100 Blogs in 100 Days: (Day 14) - "Where is My Mind?"

I feel a great deal of affection for my mind. How do you feel about yours? I imagine you might feel the same. I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to think the way I like to think, to dream the way I like to dream and to mind my own business. I spend so much time inside of my mind that sometimes I don’t want to go out. Inside it’s comfy and always the right temperature. Inside I can talk to a smart dude and someone who knows me better than anyone. Inside it is safe… but for how much longer?

I’m not writing this looking for answers as I feel pretty certain no one has them or at least any that would satisfy me. I write this because it is on my mind a great deal, especially with so much dying around me and the people I know and I wonder if any of you think about the same thing. I wonder how you comfort yourself or reach a peaceful place with it all. When we die, do we cease to be? Do our minds shut off forever?

I may not always love my shell or my body but I love my mind. I’d be lost without it. We’ve been through so much… always learning, always laughing and always a new adventure. In some ways I consider my mind to be my best friend. I realize that probably is not possible and actually now that I think about it, that actually sounds kind of weird. Let’s just say I’m attached to it. I wonder how attached I will be when I am gone.

I confess to you the primary reason I am not only quite aware of my own mortality but absolutely petrified of it is because of my mind. Will my mind cease to be? Can the mind exist without the body? Laugh if you want but it certainly didn’t work that way in the Matrix. It seems like the 2 are dependent on one another. Isn’t the mind simply a nonspatial byproduct of the brain? If that’s true, when the brain ceases to function subsequently so would the mind. That would be the end. This frightens me.

Of course I have no idea where if anywhere it will go when my body dies. Does it go somewhere else? Does it reach another level of consciousness? Am I completely gone? In that case I wonder if the mind, spirit and soul are the same thing. Is it all just the essence of who we are? My thought process and my belief system are rooted in the here and now. I am very spiritual but not religious. However I am spiritual only in the present. I believe in the energy around us, nature, and the signs that direct us but not beyond right now. Do you feel differently? I’d love to hear what you feel about it. Do you have an idea about the next stop or if there even is one? I don’t know what the future holds and I wonder if the day will ever come where I can ask the question where is my mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment