Friday, August 6, 2010

100 Blogs in 100 Days: (Day 17) - "The 48 Hour Film Project"

Today’s the day. Today’s the day that the film team I’m on finds out what genre our short film has to be, what prop we have to use, what line must be installed, and what character must be included. Oh and it’s also when we figure out what the film is about, who or what’s in it and where it will be shot. It’s the 48 Hour Film Project and it is going to be bananas!

We have a meeting tonight where all those things will be revealed and we will then have 48 hours to make a 4-7 minute film. After the films are submitted Sunday night by the 18-19 teams entered it won’t be too long to find out how good or bad they came out. They’ll show them on Wednesday night and Thursday night at the Market Arcade movie theater downtown. We are tentatively scheduled to be shown on Thursday night.

The team is made up of a handful of people. The woman in charge is in charge because she paid the entrance fee and also put the team together. The man operating the camera is the technical guy who is actually taking classes at Squeaky Wheel on how to do exactly what we will be trying to do this weekend! Plus he’s the guy with the camera. Then there’s me and all my crazy ideas, insight and ability. Then there are either 1-3 more people who will be adding their two cents, helping out technically and/or appearing in the film. I already volunteered to appear in it but who knows if that’s how it will work out. I’m ready to put on the make up and act if needed.

Back to the creative process, this is going to be a lot of fun for me because I get to put my mind to the test. I love the challenge! Plus I get to be involved in a team dynamic, which creatively isn’t always something I like to do. Yeah, I’m a creative loner in many respects but I hope the experience will broaden my horizons and teach me many things. I’m going in with an open mind and a willingness to help out in any way I can, knowing full well I can be and probably will be overruled on various things. All of us involved seem like very different people from age to backgrounds so I’m curious to see if that can create some dynamite art.

Other than being really excited and curious about everything there isn’t much else there. I don’t have a bunch of pre-conceived notions about what to do if we given this genre or that genre because I feel like it’s wasted energy in one respect and I want a more organic process. That’s just me but I want to start brainstorming once the project is alive with the directions they give us. Once we know what we need to do I’ll feel like it’s on.

Well for good or bad results this will be a great experience and we’re only a few short hours from getting started. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment