Saturday, September 25, 2010

100 Blogs in 100 Days: (#65) - "A little Beethoven, a little Harry Potter"

The Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra had their season sampler concert last night at Kleinhans Music Hall to kick off their 75th anniversary year. The concert was absolutely free and so was the food and refreshments which were donated by such wonderful restaurants as Salvatore’s and other similar eateries. While I was happy to take in the free music, the very lengthy lines talked me out of any appetizers or drinks.

I discovered that this was a new concept by the BPO intended to entice fans both old and new to come down this season and see some shows. What a great idea! In the last year alone I’ve seen the BPO backing Ben Folds, interpreting European composers, doing a free show in Delaware Park and now this! It really is a thrill to see the 70-80 virtuosos up there performing together. It’s magical and these masters have such versatility that they can play any type of music. Last night was a fair example of this as they played Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart, Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Tchaikovsky and even a little John Williams’ Harry Potter for the kiddies. I sat there pleased and I felt so fortunate that I was sitting in that music hall privy to such greatness. Plus I sat only 15 rows from the stage… I never get to do that! So I thank them for the wonderful show and for the wonderful idea.

I guess it worked because I’m now thinking about going to few of their shows this year although I haven’t figured out which ones yet. I did just find out that on Sunday night they are playing a benefit show at Kleinhans for the Food Bank of WNY. It’s going to be an interesting show because many Buffalo Music Hall of Famers are going to be joining the BPO on stage and they’ll be ranging in styles from doo wop to Motown to classic jazz to barbershop to big band and among the local music legends joining them on stage will be the cool, colorful, kickball enthusiast, Lance Diamond. The show is open seating but will cost a $25 donation which will go right to the Food Bank and it starts at 7pm Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment