Wednesday, September 22, 2010

100 Blogs in 100 Days: (#63) - "Work"

I don’t talk about work much. It’s not because I don’t have strong opinions about it, it’s just that I don’t like to bring work home with me. It is how I’ve always been. I was the same way with school. When I was not on campus, I wanted nothing to do with it. Today I’m going to write about it because quite frankly, I’m still at work. I’m working late and I’m on my break so I figured I could start a blog and then finish it when I get home tonight.

Like most people, work has its ups and downs. On the bright side, I love working at a record store. There’s a romanticism involved for me because of my deep love of music and because they are dropping like flies. To be at one of the last record stores is kinda cool, plus to be at one that is/was a local chain instead of a Borders, Media Play, FYE or some corporate entity is kinda cooler. Now I know, I should really grow up and get a big person’s job and stop living an unfulfilling fantasy. To that I say, I know and when the store finally dies off (and it will in the near future) I will do that. For now, I will enjoy my romance. I make just enough to get the things I need and even to get a few things that I don’t. I lead a simple life. I don’t do things I can’t afford and I generally do not want the things I don’t have or need. It’s really that simple.

The downside of work is surely the pay, the lack of benefits and the boredom of not being challenged too often. Plus there are the people. When you work with weirdos, kiss-asses, selfish people and liars you tend to get sick of them after a period of time. I don’t let their bad juju get to me though which is why you never hear me complain about work even when I have a rotten day and also why I never take out my frustrations on anyone else. Like I said, I don’t bring work home. It would take something incredibly significant for me to feel terrible 30 minutes after I get home. Life is simply too short to worry about such silly things. Besides, there’s far more silly and wonderful things to think about when we are on my time and when I walk out that door, I’m on my time.

I guess what I am getting at is I believe in working my job but not letting my job work me. I do what I do, get paid and get to help people out sometimes. I use the money I make to buy necessities and smiles. I don’t know if there’s more to it than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment