Wednesday, September 22, 2010

100 Blogs in 100 Days: (#62) - "North by Northwest"

As I rode my bike downtown I could feel the hair whipping through my hair. It reminded me why I like having it long. It’s truly a free and excellent feeling. The air was warm and with my short sleeve polo shirt and shorts on plus that natural wind enhanced through my hurried pedaling… the trip was quite refreshing.

The only thing that wasn’t perfect about the ride down was the fact that I was in a mild hurry. I had a destination and a time to be there by. When I arrived there I did so about 5 minutes before the film was about to start. Tonight it was North by Northwest, the Hitchcock classic and very well regarded thriller. After several minutes in line to buy a ticket I made it to my seat about 5 minutes after seven but no worries as they decided to start a little late this evening.

If I thought the ride down was exhilarating, it was nothing compared to the ride this film would take me on over the next 2 hours! Sure there would be the twists and turns you’d expect from a thriller with this much praise heaped on it over the years but there was so much more! There was an excellent score that worked really well with key moments of the film. There were top notch editing and brilliant angles which accentuated the action and dialogue. Plus Cary Grant was fantastic in the starring role mixing the right amount of humor with his plight. Actually, that’s my favorite part of the film along with many of the other Hitchcock films I’ve seen.

Hitchcock has a knack for humor whether it’s a horror film, thriller or mystery. He knows how to toe the line of injecting humor into scenes that are very close to being dark or melancholy. I couldn’t believe how many one liners and witty comebacks there were in this film. The best part of it all is that the humor didn’t affect the thrilling plot and the thrilling plot didn’t interfere with the humor. They enhanced each other. So without giving too much of the plot away all I can say is that if you haven’t seen this film, you really should. It’s a great ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment