Wednesday, July 21, 2010

100 Blogs in 100 Days - Introduction (7-21-10)

This is a project I’ve been thinking about starting for a few days. When I was younger and perhaps a little less hardened by the events of my life and those around me I used to blog 3-4 times a week. Back in the day I used to post on everything and anything, sometimes striking gold with random thoughts and sometimes striking out without cohesiveness. I miss it. I miss sharing and exchanging so much. To that end I’ve decided to put myself to the test.

I’m going to try to write 100 blogs in 100 days! I’m doing this to see if I can most of all but there are other reasons.

I’ve been looking at some of my blogs from years ago and while I’m still the same goofball I’ve always been who thinks the same silly thoughts (Why do most bald guys have goatees?), I feel like my entries have evolved and turned into something quite different than from when I began.

When I first started to write blogs and I think this began somewhere around 2001, I used to write about my daily adventures, my lovelife, sports, the arts, food, politics, and I’d ask countless questions on a variety of topics as a student of life. It always felt light but genuine. No subject was taboo and I’d be just as comfortable writing about oral sex as I would be writing about going out to a local concert.

Many entries were written in a light-hearted tone and they came in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes an entry would be 1 or 2 paragraphs and sometimes they’d be pretty long. But even the longest of the long back then can’t touch the mini-novels I’ve composed during recent times. Now my blogs are less random and often focused on a specific topic. I almost want to say they are more heavy, deep and serious and maybe they are but I still write in a similar style and I still try to write as humorously as always despite the more serious, mature and maybe even more passionate tone. Like I said, I think life has hardened me a bit over the years, but much like a Caramelo bar once you bite through the hard chocolate exterior, inside you’ll find a soft, sweet, gooey center. Yes, I’ve just compared myself to caramel.

When I look back at things I wrote in my twenties I miss the naivety of the posts. I miss the blind optimism and boundless hope I possessed. Those of you who know me now can attest that I am still a dreamer and I am generally hopeful and optimistic but ten years ago I was ridiculously so.

To get back to my roots I am going to write my ass off. I’m going to write 100 blogs in 100 days. This will be simple, silly and insignificant to most of you but it will be of the utmost importance to me. I hope to acquire more discipline to write everyday. I hope to learn more about myself and the world. Writing is just like any muscle in your body. If you want to be strong you have to workout frequently. Plus most of all, I think this will be fun!

I really hope some of my real friends out there read along as I make my way to 100! But I don’t want to discourage any new friends or casual friends from reading either! I would just like to think that the people who know me fairly well will care that I am doing this and support me. But regardless of who you are, I’d love it if you’d climb on board, offer input, feedback or criticism. Remember, we never learn anything from those who agree with us!

And just so you know how serious I am about this exercise, I’m not going to say that day 1 is just this short blog about how I want to start this thing. That would be too easy. The introduction does not count! You’ll get a real blog, #1 in a few more hours!

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment