Thursday, May 19, 2011

Keep it simple (5-19-11)

So last night I find myself watching reruns of Cheers on the TV Land channel at 2am. I remember how much I used to love watching that show. It reminds me of a simpler time in my life and more than that I marvel at the simplicity of the characters and the writing. They come to the same place every day, do the same thing and have the times of their lives. Yes on occasion they venture outside of Cheers to do or see other things but when they do they bring “Cheers” with them. Does that make sense to you? These people live within the confines of their happy place and wherever they go they take it with them. It sounds so simple… and beautiful.

“The only true gift is a portion of yourself” –Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’m the type of person who loves to try new things and go on little adventures. I think it adds spice to life. I’m also the type of person who likes some stability and consistency to fall back on when I come back from the adventures. I need a good base otherwise I have nothing to build on. I can’t have the frosting without a nice cake under it. Okay, I think you get it. The problem I think I sometimes have is that I don’t always bring “myself” when I go out and do these things. I used to think I was very shy and anti-social but I don’t believe that anymore. I now think I’m simply very untrusting of people, especially those I don’t know. I don’t bring myself out until I feel like it’s safe to come out, so to speak. I talk in intermittent spurts while my mind is racing and reading trying to figure out the person or people in front of me. I’m always thinking. Can I share part of myself with these people? Do I WANT to share myself with this person? Will they judge me? Will they or could they hurt me if I open up a bit? Do they even deserve to get any of me? I know that last one sounded a bit arrogant but screw that, I’m not wasting time or myself around ignorant people or people who give me bad vibes/energy. There’s no use giving love, joy or hope to someone who has none of things and does not want to receive them. I try to put out good energy but I’m not going to use a spray bottle on a raging inferno. Anyway as you can see, I feel strongly about it but maybe not so much that I should assume 98% of the people I meet are this way.

“The aspects of things that are most important to us are hidden because of their simplicity and familiarity.” -Ludwig Wittgenstein

The problem is that I hold on too tight. I have to find a middle ground between gullible and skeptical, between discerning and overlooking. The past few years I’ve opened up a little more and those who know me can probably see it. A couple years ago I was a very private, very reclusive person who generally would only give things away in the form of a blog rather than in person. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I’ve been blogging a lot less this year. It’s not because I grow tired of blogging or that I have nothing to say. It’s because I’m letting more things out of me around real people so I have less for the online peeps.

“Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity” -Charles Mingus

This whole thing is about me letting go and being me no matter what or where the circumstances. It’s what I strive to be. It would seem like a basic thing, just be yourself all the time. But with all the phonies out there and the hiding in here it can be a real challenge. I just have to remind myself from time to time it’s all about keeping it simple.

“I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best both for the body and the mind.” – Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment