Thursday, March 24, 2011

Wrong Place at the Right Time (3-24-11)

Do you ever find yourself working or doing something important when inspiration hits you and you come up with an idea or a thought so amazing you need to save it immediately? What do you do? Do you drop everything? I don’t know how you deal with it but I always try to give inspiration the benefit of the doubt over whatever else I’m doing. It isn’t always easy. Some tasks and some lines of work don’t allow this kind of behavior. What if the thing you are right in the middle of is not something you can just stop? That’s the worst! Although my job is hardly ever that important there are times when I have to complete what I am doing before taking a moment for myself. I just have to make sure I don’t lose whatever gem it is while waiting for my opportunity to save it.

I’ll keep repeating the thought or idea in my head over and over again until I can find some way to let it out. I always try to keep a batch of post its, index cards or a small notepad nearby at all times for these emergencies. If needed I can write down a single word, number or symbol that will remind me of the thought when I have the time to cement it further.

Sometimes I’m enamored with the idea so much that my legs start tapping or moving and my body reflects my minds’ excited desire to get the thought somewhere safe. “Where’s a pen” I’m thinking or “where did I put my phone” as it looks like I’m dancing to no music. To the viewer I probably look borderline spastic. On occasion people have even asked me if I have to go to the bathroom. I guess it’s an inspiration dance. Dare not speak to me when I am performing this dance, or at least take pity on me and wait at least until I’ve written down, texted or emailed myself the idea. There have been times where I thought of something profound and then someone distracted me and I lost it. Then I hate that person forever. I kid, but I do spend a large chunk of the rest of that day trying to regain that amazing discovery most times to no avail. Could it have been the meaning of life? A new invention? A faster way to do something? An idea for a poem? A story? Sadly, we’ll never know.

Fate plays a role in this as well. I feel like fate has a pretty good sense of humor or maybe a cruel one when I find myself ready to leave my apartment for work when something brilliant comes to me. I have to put my backpack down, my keys back on the table and sit at my desk for a few minutes to get it out. Of course there are other wonderful times like when I’m trying to go to sleep or if I’m on the can or in the shower. I swear some of my best ideas come to me at some of the worst times. Actually I should rephrase that. A great idea is always welcome! There is no “worst” time. I just like it best when it’s easy to document or channel them because apparently my mind has a mind of its’ own! I say always try to keep something nearby whether that’s your phone, a pencil, a paintbrush, an etch-a-sketch… something. Take it from me and an unfortunate incident that happened this morning… you don’t want to catch yourself at the wrong place at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment