Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Change (8-15-12)


"If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living."
-Gail Sheehy

If you look closely you can start to find changes all around. Leaves are starting to fall to the earth. Nights are becoming bearable for sleep. There’s a subtly changing vibe in the air. There are different colors, new events on the horizon, current events wrapping up. Shakespeare in the Park is in its last week. The Tuesday night Bidwell park concert series just concluded and Thursday at the Harbor only has 2 shows left. The Buffalo Bisons’ baseball season is nearly over. Football and hockey (hopefully) are right around the corner. I was telling someone recently that every time fall approaches I get excited because fall is my favorite season. Then when spring arrives 6 months later, spring becomes my favorite season… at least until the next fall. It goes on and on like that, always has been and while summer and winter are pretty reliable and predictable in terms of what you are going to get there’s always something exciting about fall and spring because of what you are going to get…  you’re going to get changes and a lot of them. 

The weather is the most obvious one and that alone has a cause and effect relationship with plenty of other changes. Off the top of my head I can think of quite a few that I make or notice during the fall: Clothes that haven’t been worn in a long time return to the rotation. Scarves, slacks and jeans in particular return to the daily party. The sunsets seem crisper. Butternut squash is back in season! I love the vibrant earthy colors. I’ll start drinking teas and wearing sleeves. There’s the anticipation and excitement of Halloween. I also love the sound of crackling leaves under foot. I definitely begin to pine a little more than usual for someone to snuggle with on those increasing chilly nights and of course, I get an intense craving for all things pumpkiny! Yes, I fall for fall... cheesy but true.

"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance."
-Alan Watts

But all those changes notwithstanding this fall feels more significant than many of my recent ones. The first thing and biggest thing is that I’m moving into a new apartment for the first time in over 4 years. Moving is always an annoying endeavor but at the same time it’s still kind of fun and I’m feeling optimistic as this new place is bigger, complete with 2 porches (front and back), full laundry and a new roommate. Now I haven’t had a roommate in 5+ years so that will be an adjustment but she isn’t a clingy person so I can be distant when I need to be and that probably won’t bother her. I’ve also known her for several years and she seems to be very respectful of space and things like that so this is looking like more of a fun thing than a scary thing at this point.

“Change in all things is sweet.”
-Aristotle

In addition to new digs, I’ve been making new friends, moving on from some others. Things keep moving. Perhaps it’s all part of this momentum I’ve slowly been gaining over the last few years... the poetry, the ongoing weight loss and the slow and steady happiness I’ve been accumulating over time. Perhaps I need to keep making changes… sprinkling them in when I can so I can keep growing and evolving. It seemed like for many years there I was stuck, unsure and afraid of everything, completely raw, insecure and hating myself for all the wrong reasons.

When did it change? I’m not 100% sure but I do remember I started to meet quality new people with good energy and then something happened inside of me, sparks were ignited and I got off my ass and started to make some gradual changes. I overcame some fears, generated my own positive energy and here I am walking on this exciting road. Am I moving in the right direction? Does it matter? I have a long way to go but I’m moving and that seems right enough. Besides, I can’t talk about right or wrong until I get to where I’m going but I’ve found in this life that the travel is usually better than the destination and it’s so much better to walk a thousand miles to an unknown but hopeful place than to be waiting on some corner I know all too well for transit that will probably never come while lamenting my lack of wings. 

I’ve discovered while I’m not always ready for them, changes can be good and when I can dictate them like I’ve been doing most of the time lately, they can be very exciting indeed despite any reservations I may have. I can’t help but feel nervous about them. I think that’s true of most people. But me, I’m all about routines. I’m all about easy living, comfort and simple pleasures and I think I sometimes have to go along kicking and screaming a bit in the beginning when I shake things up as I cautiously embrace these changes, because I find them how I always found them, exciting but scary. Sometimes being scared is fun though, it’s part of the reason why I’ve always loved horror movies and when you push yourself to overcome your fears, you discover new worlds and learn more about yourself much like the hero/heroine does when they defeat the monster or villain. We hardly know of the strength within us until we are called upon to use it. Change will do that. Change can test us. Changes can stress us out but in the end they make us stronger. Some changes are certainly easier than others and deciding to make changes can lead to uncertain results but there is one thing that is for certain in our daily lives no matter how much we resist, change.

“If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.”
-Maya Angelou


No comments:

Post a Comment