Monday, February 8, 2010

Running Super Bowl Blog (2-7-10)

If you are sick and unable to attend any cool Super Bowl parties and get togethers why not make the most of the time and blog about the Super Bowl as it happens? Well, it sounds like a good idea to me. It is currently 5:30 and at least 50 minutes before kickoff so before we get to the games here are the things I want to see and don’t want to see:

Want to see:

-A shoot out and a close game that keeps my attention to the end.
-A realistic number of good commercials- by realistic I’ll take 1 in 4. If 25% of the commercials are good I’ll be happy
-Pete Townsend destroys his guitar after a killer set by the Who at halftime. That’s realistic right?
-A smidge of weather – Wouldn’t it be cool for once if the wind, temperature or rain was a small factor?
-a New Orleans victory. If I were to make a list of NFL cities that deserve a Super Bowl, the Big Easy would be right near the top with Buffalo, Detroit and Cleveland. New Orleans is an underdog team (in this game) from an underdog city who has never won it, let alone played in the Super Bowl before and winning it all would mean a lot to a city that greatly deserves some good news. How can you argue with that?

DON’T want to see:

-Political commercials during the Super Bowl. It’s football, stick to the dancing squirrels, dumb guys drinking beer, special effects, clever concepts and easy going junk. Leave the political, ethical, righteous crap for more serious programs. I love Jesus, like his style but leave him out of my sports. I love Barack Obama, like his style as well but unless he’s making a prediction or something game related I don’t want to see or hear from him nor his contemporaries in politics.
-I don’t want to see Kim Kardashian all night every time her boyfriend Reggie Bush does something. I’m sure CBS will show her a few times but this might be a blessing that the game is not on FOX which would show her 86 times by halftime regardless of Reggie’s exploits. For that matter I could do with minimal Archie and Eli Manning shots too.
-a nervous, low scoring, turnover filled game

Okay with all that in mind it is nearly gametime so here we go! (Times listed are EST) Special note: All the opinions expressed don’t necessary reflect the views of anyone you should take seriously. I’m just babbling and will repeatedly show that I don’t know what I am talking about. Enjoy!


6:01pm- So we start off with Jay Z. Didn’t he start off the World Series too? Jay Z is one of those rare hip hop stars who have crossed over and still has the street cred. The 90’s were littered with crossover rappers who went pop and then went bust. Perhaps it’s easier for Jay Z than it was for MC Hammer, Tone Loc, Young MC and those guys because back then hip hop wasn’t as mainstream and you really had to meet the pop sound halfway. You had to tweak your sound enough to get on the charts which generated resentment with the hardcore fanbase. Nowadays nothing is bigger than hip hop. It IS the mainstream so guys like Kanye and Jay Z can pretty much do what they want without sacrificing too much and it will go over.

6:07pm- My first winning combination and commercial of the night: Ritz crackers and Earth Wind and Fire. Ritz crackers aren’t too complicated… they are crackers. So why make a complicated commercial? Ritz didn’t and I applaud them for it. They mix in a marching band, Tiki Barber for the football tie-in and Earth Wind and Fire’s Let’s Groove tonight which is scientifically proven to make you groove.


6:10pm- Player introductions… Guys are pretty pumped up. I wonder if we’ll hear any cursing on the field. Speaking of which, with this being the Super Bowl and all I want to see that New Orleans team “300” pre-game ritual up close.

6:16pm- I noticed this is the Hyundai pregame show and that made me wonder if we’ll hear from Toyota tonight. They have as much damage control and trust issues as Tiger Woods right now so I’m thinking this might be a golden, albeit expensive opportunity to start turning it around. Now that I think about it, Tiger should have bought some ad time and tried to start the long road to repairing his image.

6:18pm- Queen Latifah? I thought she was more of a rapper than a singer, Chicago notwithstanding. Needless to say I’ll be a little skeptical.

6:21pm- Okay I liked the presentation and the way the song was done but the Queen may be more of a peasant when it comes to belting out a tune. I’ll give her a B- for a good try though.

6:23pm- I liked Carrie Underwood’s rendition of the national anthem a little better but I don’t know how much she truly loves America, after all she is marrying a Canadian hockey player from Ottawa. She gets a B.

6:28pm- Emmitt Smith’s coin toss almost went right into the Saints. I’m glad it didn’t hit anything or anyone because with as charged up and competitive these guys are right now it might have resulted in a 5 minute argument: “you didn’t call no interference” “no interference doesn’t have to be called, it’s a given”

6:30pm- Phil Simms just said “bad weather brings teams closer together” meaning that it offsets the difference in talent a little bit. It’s a valid point but makes me feel depressed because if you think about it the Bills haven’t made the playoffs in 10 years despite having bad weather some of the time.

6:33pm- Wow aggressive throw by Drew Brees on 3rd down. The man wasn’t open by much and the throw was not that great but at least he missed him long so it wasn’t costly. Between that throw and the play before where it looked like he had happy feet in the pocket I wonder if Drew is a bit nervous. You couldn’t blame him if he is. Although if he is, I hope he snaps out of it soon because that cool customer on the other sideline might put up a few quick scores before the nervous people settle in. In fact his first 3 throws have been perfect!

6:42pm- Although the Saints held the Colts to only a field goal on that opening drive, it didn’t really feel like they stopped the Colts as much as Peyton missed a throw. Still though, 3 is better than 7 against. Now I hope Drew Brees can get it going.

6:43pm- The first funny Super Bowl commercial followed by the pro-life one we’ve heard about all week. The “you’re playing like Betty White” bit was good and then to add Abe Vigoda at the end was frosting on the cake. As far as the Tim Tebow pro-life spot, it wasn’t as offensive as I thought it would be but I still do not think a football game is the time and place for such topics.

6:51pm- Colston taking one off the face, boy that’s embarrassing. Good thing there weren’t 50 million people watching or anything. That basically killed the drive. At least they pinned the Colts down deep in their territory but I don’t like the way this is going so far.

6:53pm- Bud Light commercial, it’s the end of the world what do we do? Bud Light? Really? If the world was going to end I’d sho’nuff be drinking top shelf hooch not bargain basement beer water.

6:55pm- The Colts just ran for 16 on that last play and then 10 more a few plays later. I know the Saints are petrified about Manning and they should be but they cannot give up huge runs. It might be curtains for them if the Colts can run the ball effectively throughout the game because the Colts are actually one of the league’s worst running teams.

7:02pm- The Simpsons Coca Cola commercial was cute but why do you need the Simpsons for that? You could have made the same commercial with no name actors and the same premise. Although right afterwards I give 2 thumbs up to Go Daddy for Danica Patrick getting a massage. Yeah it wasn’t too revealing but at this point in the Super Bowl I’ll take what I can get.

7:06pm- If you thought the voice box song effect hadn’t jumped the shark a year or two ago when every song on the radio was using it, I think it leaped over the shark right now with this Bud Light commercial. I have a theory that the worse a beer is the more you have to advertise for it. Think about your favorite beer and how often you see a commercial for it. Now compare that to how many Bud Light, Coors Light, Budweiser, and Miller Lite commercials you see. I think the only exception to this rule would be the introduction of a new beer but I think you get the point. Also no one give Cher the love she deserves. About 10 years ago she used the voice box effect to a huge top 10 smash song about believing about love after love. No one gives her the credit she deserves… at least as far as that goes.

7:08pm- By the way that Colts touchdown has put my mind on the verge of panic mode. The Saints MUST score on this drive. As I mentioned early on, the Saints had to get past the nerves fast because Peyton isn’t nervous and he is that damn good.

7:12pm- I was just about to ask where Pierre Thomas was but it appears he has been found. The Saints and Drew Brees especially could use the balance of a strong running threat. The Colts defense is fast but not big and strong. If you can run it right at them you can wear them down.

7:16pm- The Saints have to settle for a field goal after a nasty Freeney one armed sack. For the rest of the game the Saints will need touchdowns and not field goals but one this occasion they needed to get on the board so it was nice to get something.

7:20pm- Leno and Letterman in the same commercial… only at the Super Bowl.

7:22pm- I bet that was the first time there were ever two pantsless commercials in a row. Not that I’m counting and not that I am a fan.

7:23pm- Whether you like Brett Favre or you don’t you have to respect that he’ll make fun of himself.

7:25pm- Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good and Pierre Garcon dropping that 3rd down throw may have kept this game, a game. If he caught that at full speed like he was going he might have had a chance to score. Now if the Saints can score a TD here and tie the game I’ll be thrilled. Oh and quick shout out to the NFL network for using Arcade Fire in their commercial for the draft.

7:37pm- It’s the two minute warning and 3rd and goal at the 1. If I’m the Saints I’m going into 4-down territory here. To have pretty much dominated this quarter of play and come out of it with 2 field goals and to go down at least 4 points at the half is unacceptable. They are bigger on the line of scrimmage than the Colts and it needs to come out here.

7:39pm- I thought Mike Bell was the power back for goalline situations. He looked like Reggie Bush running east and west there. If it’s not there put your head down and get back to the line of scrimmage or at least a half yard to make 4th down more doable. Do not run it wide and lose yardage. Now with a yard and a half to 2 yards to go this becomes a real gamble whether they kick it or not.

7:50pm- I must admit I thought this was going to be a blowout after that first quarter was dominated by the Colts but then the Saints turned it around and owned the 2nd quarter. Unfortunately their huge advantages in time of possession and yards (143 yards to 15 yards) translated only into 2 field goals and left them still facing a 4 point deficit when the 2nd half begins. It was not the exciting offensive shootout I was both expecting and hoping for but it wasn’t a snoosefest either. Now it’s time to recharge the batteries and take in the Who.

8:13pm- Did everyone play along with the Who? It was like they were on the Guitar Hero stage and since it would light up on the beat I assumed if I had a controller and the game I could have played along. It was perfectly fine entertainment but it does seem a bit formulaic since Janet Jackson’s nipple. Ever since then it has been book all time great band/artist, do medley of hits, shoot fireworks, have crazy light show and visuals. It’s a good time albeit safe. I guess like I mentioned about not having political or religious commercials on the Super Bowl, perhaps this is how it should be, established and legendary performers instead of the flavor of the month. It makes me appreciate Prince’s appearance a few years ago a bit more. He played a few hits but also sprinkled in some covers too. How cool was that? You won’t see the Who doing any Bob Dylan tunes up there.

8:22pm- Onside kick to start the 2nd half. Wake up everybody! You have to love the cojones to attempt such a play. If the Colts recovered with a very short field it could very well be 17-6. But with the Saints recovering the kick even a field goal would be good as it would put them within a point but if the Saints were to go up 13-10 with the Colts on their heels, this would be very interesting. Plus it would be the first time tonight that pressure would be on Peyton Manning, who I might add hasn’t really thrown a pass in nearly an hour.

8:27pm- Touchdown Saints! The Saints look unafraid and more importantly have finally found the endzone. They are really starting to click. Drew looks locked in. It’s on now.

8:30pm- What the freak? First Arcade Fire in a commercial and now Grizzly Bear? Maybe I’m not as cool as I thought I was.

8:37pm- As I watch the Colts march right back down the field I’m starting to wonder if the shootout I was expecting in the 1st half may finally be here. Your serve New Orleans.

8:40pm- The KGB woman is fine.

8:44pm- Another commercial concept that has jumped the shark: the e-trade baby. It’s not even the same voice from last year’s commercials. If you are going to beat a concept to death at least maintain continuity so you can really wring out every drop of use from it.

8:59pm- Reggie Wayne has been REALLY quiet thus far.

9:07pm- Watching Drew Brees carve up the Colts secondary with passes all over the field, to all different receivers is like watching football art. It also makes me pine for a real quarterback for Buffalo. It’s been too long. Meanwhile I think it’s a matter of time before the Saints score.

9:15pm- I hope the Saints challenge that 2-point conversion. I’d give it to him.

9:19pm- Wow a 7 point game with 5 minutes and change and the best of the best taking the ball in an attempt to tie it. This is football!

9:21pm- Darn it, I was hoping to go through the whole game without hearing a chicken scream. Oh well.

9:26pm- The Green Police inside of my head! This Audi spot has been my favorite commercial of the night thus far. Yes even better than Danica’s rubdown and the KGB woman. “You picked the wrong day to mess with the ecosystem” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq58zS4_jvM

9:29pm- The GAMEBREAKER! Pick 6 by the Saints and finally a team makes a mistake. In a game where no one had turned the ball over and the score was so close it makes sense that the one mistake made by someone could cost their team the game. I have too much respect for Peyton Manning to say this is over but I think I hear the fat lady tuning up.

9:37pm- The best Colts defender Dwight Freeney has either not played in the 2nd half or has been invisible because of his injury. It’s probably no coincidence that Drew Brees hasn’t had much pressure in the 2nd half and has looked amazing. He’s my MVP tonight.

9:43pm- There she goes! It’s over and let the party begin on Bourbon Street. Just a few years back before Drew Brees’ arrival in New Orleans no one would have guessed that a traditionally non successful franchise like the Saints would be winning the Super Bowl. It gives me hope that the little guys can win it every once in a while. I’m sure it also gives hope to the Cleveland’s, Seattle’s, Cincinnati’s, etc.

Who dat? Super Bowl Champs!

No comments:

Post a Comment