Saturday, February 16, 2013

Sparkle in the Eye (2-16-13)



There are these people who walk among us. They’re a little different. I mean, they look like the rest of us, talk like us and even act like us most of the time. But sometimes they are more than us and that’s what makes them different. That and the constant fire in their souls. They live a stirring, dynamic existence that often leaves a memorable impression on us. They provide the deepest memories and are often beloved in their circles. I often refer to these people as people who sparkle. I say that because when they are going, when they are interested, when they are doing what they do their eyes sparkle in a way that other people’s do not. If you look for it and you’re around the right person, you can definitely see it. The look in their eyes when they are “into it” is beautiful and even sometimes borders on fanatical or crazy looking. You can see their energy levels rise rapidly and their body language shift. Maybe you’ve encountered some of these people. They are the creative souls, the movers, the doers and the people who get things done, usually with a smile. They don’t sit around lamenting the choices in their lives; they are more likely out there living them and chasing their dreams. They often live in the moment and are usually some of the nicest and fun people you’ll ever meet.

They aren’t perfect people, mind you, as their impulsiveness and risk taking can sometimes backfire but that won’t stop them. People can take advantage of them and hurt them because they are usually coming from a genuine place and can be oblivious to other people’s hidden motives or insecurities. Sparkle people don't have time for hidden motives and insecurities! When they do get knocked down, however infrequent, they usually get right back up and attack life all over again. Sometimes they can have trouble with relationships because people just can’t keep up with them or people just can’t give them the amount of space they need to pursue the things they need to pursue. Never try to change or control these people! They can be workaholics and they can be some of the most creative people you know. Their energy can be infectious and frightening all at the same time. If you ever tried to get one of these people to sit down and do absolutely nothing for an hour or two, watch out! They’ll get antsy quickly.

Another thing you should be careful about is if you ever have a good idea around these people... you better mean it! They will not only encourage you to do it, but if it’s an idea for a group or something they can get into with you, they’ll want to get right into it. All those people out there who are all talk and no action stay away from the people with sparkles in their eyes. They are both intimidated and afraid of them because sparkle people will call their bluff. Sparkle people will want to do it and get right to it. They are impressed with dynamic ideas for sure but following them through to fruition really gets them going because they know there is as much if not more fun in the action as there are in the ideas. To them an experience is both a way to better memories and a better chance to obtain knowledge than what an idea on its own presents.

I admire these people for that sparkle in their eyes. I think I have it too, but it’s not really for me to say. You can’t tell people about your sparkle the same way you can’t tell someone you are very attractive. As we know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I’ve met women who think I am cute as hell and others who think I’m yuck. It is what it is. But I think if I am one of the sparkle people, I make it harder to identify me as one because I try to hide it. I don’t know if I do it intentionally or not, subconsciously maybe. My over analytical side is often in direct conflict with my sparkle. I try to think and overthink things while my soul gets antsy. In one of my oldest poems I refer to my “dull dryness often being at odds with my frosted side” like that cereal where only one half of each piece is frosted. Some people are frosted all over and I both envy (in a good way) and love them. They inspire me to seek out my own sparkle. They inspire me to write, to think and to live. So this is for them. To all you people with a sparkle in your eye, keep shining. 


Ed. note: To all my facebook friends who I tagged for this blog you were the first people I thought of when I started writing this. I’ve actually looked into your eyes at some point and saw the sparkle. You are the sparkliest of the sparkly. For those I didn’t tag, no worries… I think you have some sparkle; I just wanted to highlight those people who I think have the most. Sparkle is a beautiful thing and if you wanna get yourself some here are ways to do it: 1-Start appreciating stuff! 2-Stop talking about it and do it. 3-Don’t get too caught up in your head- doubts and excuses live there. 4-Live! 5-Get off your ass. While I think the sparkliest people are born with it, I think if you can incorporate a little into your life, however much you can handle, it will make things richer, more meaningful and you will feel more alive than you’ve ever felt.

Lastly, I am starting to write a poem about people with the sparkle in their eyes and I will debut it Wednesday night at the Ashker’s open mic, 7:30pm. Those tagged, come down in person and hear me talk about you, otherwise I’ll be talking about you behind your backs. :)


1 comment:

  1. haha!!Thank you Eddie, I'm honored to be considered so sparkly <3 I know you have it too- you don't hide it as well as you think :)

    ReplyDelete