Friday, September 23, 2011

Getting Away From it All (9-23-11)

Okay, who here really needs a vacation? Alright, everyone put your hands down. Some people need one more than others, and hey you over there, didn’t you just come back from one a few weeks ago? I’m not talking about daytrips either. Those are wonderful but you can’t sink your teeth into them because you are back that night. I mean, I haven’t even been on one of THOSE in a long time, but a real honest to goodness vacation where you are gone at least a weekend, now that’s something I haven’t done in at least 5 years. I think the last one was when I went to Chicago for a few days to visit an ex-girlfriend. We went to the United Center to see the Sabres play the Blackhawks and I walked around the Windy City and took in lots of sights and sounds which is one of my favorite things to do when I go somewhere… find a good spot and wander around for hours and hours.

Anyway, I feel like I’m long overdue for another trip but with a tight budget and without someone to go somewhere with or to go see, I just haven’t been able to get away. Life can get dull without a little spice sprinkled into it. Routines are good and necessary for me but to function efficiently but every now and then I need more. That’s why last night was very much needed and appreciated.

On the final night of summer I went to Nietzsche’s to see 2 bands play: Clandestina y La Raza Cosmica (cosmic race) and the 12/8 Path Band. Now the first band is one that I’ve seen a few times recently and absolutely love but the 2nd is one that I hadn’t seen in nearly as long as it’s been since I’ve gone on a vacation! When I tried to describe them to someone I realized I couldn’t. It had only been about 5 years! I remembered that there were plenty of percussionists and that I had a good feeling about them. I just read this quote by Maya Angelou the other day and it’s very true; “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” I couldn’t remember much of anything about the 12/8 Path Band but I remembered I felt good watching them all those years ago so they must have been a good band.  

Clandestina y La Raza Cosmica went on first and I sat back and soaked it all in. It was heavenly. The infectious rhythms had me smiling for nearly the entire set. My feet tapped repeatedly and my hips and shoulders swayed from side to side despite the fact that I was sitting in a chair. I was tempted to get up and dance which is saying a lot for me. Clandestina y La Raza Cosmica plays a Mexican folk music called Son Jarocho. I could try to explain it but here’s a link to help with that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_Jarocho  It is fun, charming music that makes me feel like I’m somewhere else when I hear it. That’s part of the reason I like it so much. It takes me away from my job, from my problems, from my insecurities and my fears. Any good band will do that for you, they’ll take you away for a little while but since this was more of an exotic band compared to what’s playing in Buffalo venues, I feel like the music takes me farther away than a good rock n roll band could. It was more than being “not here”. I actually felt like I WAS someplace else… someplace warm, inviting and relaxed. I’ve never been to Mexico so I couldn’t say it felt like I was in Mexico, but I have been to Puerto Rico and maybe it kind of reminded me of that. The point is I didn’t feel like I was sitting in a bar on a work night wondering when I should go home. I was lost in melodic bliss unaware of time and place. You can’t beat that on a work night.  

When the next band started I had good feelings about it. Both in that comforting feeling I mentioned earlier about seeing them in the past despite not remembering exactly what they sounded like, and also because when they were ready to begin they were a sea of percussion and horns and pardon my slang, but ain’t nuthin wrong with that! They began to play and suddenly I felt I was in Louisiana as they had a Cajun groove going. The style was equally infectious as the first band. At times they sounded like a College Marching band freestyling it and others like a drumline with a conscience. They mixed funk, classic jazz and I don’t know how many exotic world styles into an awesome display. I felt like we should have started our own parade and marched right out of Nietzsche’s and down Allen street together spreading love and good energy to all those in our way.

When their set ended, Clandestina y La Raza Cosmica came back to play again and as they got several minutes into their 2nd set my friend reminded me of the time. Dammit, it was almost midnight and since it was a weekday, I had to work in the morning. It was time to get back into reality and be responsible again. My mini-vacation was over although I enjoyed immensely.

Today I feel a mild hangover. It’s not from drinking too much as I had very little booze. It’s that hangover you feel the day after you’ve gotten back from a trip. You know the one, the longer the time away the worse the hangover. Your body and mind need time to get back into the groove. Although my trip was short it was meaningful and since it was unexpected it was even more enjoyable. So despite feeling hungover, I do feel a little refreshed today as if I really did go away. Now I find myself looking forward to the next mini-trip while I work on that bigger one that’s long overdue.      

No comments:

Post a Comment